Saturday, April 19, 2014

3 Friends every woman need


Sitting at the coffee shop, I saw a group of teen girls flocking to the cafĂ©, giggling, chatting and teasing each other. They sounded happy and unassuming of what future holds for them. They were not sure whether they would end up growing together and their friendship would survive throughout the “M” stage - Moving, Marriage, Motherhood. Whether they will get together again in the same coffee shop after years of transformation, from young and charming girls into fine women. It all hinges on each girl in that group. It is a string each girl holds to keep the bond together….a bond of friendship!

I never had such thoughts when I met my girls. I didn't have a slightest belief that we would be as happy as happy as we were in teens and still have our lives together. Through time, we have evolved from the single carefree life to a super mom life supporting each other through thick and thin. I realized that life does not slow down and fall into place just because we are old enough. Whether they are around the corner or in another time zone, a phone call away or at the doorstep, just knowing they are there gives a great sense of comfort. Of Course, I feel nice to hear “Where the hell have you been?” “What happened to you phone? Has your kid dropped it into the sink again?” “Can we meet up this week?”…”Today, 1 PM, Lunch at my house…No questions..!” As we sat together, I couldn't help but feel that we are 19 again eating lunch together at our college cafeteria…laughing at every silly jokes. That “Friendilicious” moment is worth remembering thousand times. There is a history between all the girls. We know each other so well…the days we got a job, ended up “engaged to be married”, when we tied the knots, sharing the joy of pregnancy, whining over the parenting nightmares..(Well you need a momtourage). They were my SOS, Life coach, Frenemy and kindred soul. It doesn't matter where we live, what we own, the clothes we wear, the car we have…we don't need to impress each other. We know our history (our life so far), geography (every step we take and every place we go) and chemistry (togetherness) so far!

'They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style.' I am a fan of SATC and has watched it “I don't remember how many” times!! For me, seeing this is like seeing my friends! It brings the essence of friendship at its finest. Every woman should have these characters in their life…to have each other’s back, supporting through tough times, make your brightest day brighter, who are not too afraid to be real and even says the darndest thing when you are wrong. I am lucky to have these 3 characters in my life:



Photo Credit : HBO

Miranda

The Miranda I have is a motivator. She juggles between work and kids and still finds time to stick around when I need her. She inspires me and gives that little nudge of “Go for it!” to do the things I always wanted to do. Not afraid to keep it real, she gives insightful advice to defuse situations or when taking a tough call, comparing herself “I have been there”. She is fearless and has no-nonsense attitude, doesn't do a nod for every conversation we do. She has an obsessive tendency to plan everything right from a last minute meet up to a day-long outing. I can truly count on her and when I think I need her, she would be already on her way!

Charlotte

My charlotte is the kind- hearted soul and sweetest girl in our group. Being a classy friend, she rarely disagrees to our opinions. The one who may not always have the answers, but she understands. She finds nothing joyous than to have everyone around for lunch on a dull and bleak weekday afternoon. Every day is sunny day with her huge and fascinating family who treats us like we are part of them. Having someone who is selfless, compassionate and listens to all your ramblings and help you find the answers within yourself is nothing but pure joy!

Samantha

I needed a friend who is nothing like me. Learning from someone who has a degree of opposition and conflicting views helped me to overcome my negatives. My Samantha is cool, more open and level-headed. She is the one to go if all you need is gasp of fresh air away from daily routine and all the parenting woes. I feel lighter and happier being with her. She will never be there when we need her but jumps out of nowhere to bring that party mood. She never plans and though she does, she never executes! We felt good to have someone who wakes up late, miss her train, forget something and still be cool!

Almost 12 years and we are still going strong. Another 12 years from now, I can imagine us sitting in the coffee shop talking about “Project midlife”- how to make the most of midlife together! I have a motivator, a listener and a cool-headed friend…I love them all and I love them differently. Girls, Thanks for being there for me. You people are awesome! XoXo!!

No comments: